Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Long Road (Pt.4) Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head


It was our last day in Sicily. The team and I arrived at the home of Matt's family to finish up whatever work remained to be finished. But when we got there, we got a surpirse. We were going sight seeing one last time. We were going to Taormina. I had been there the year before and LOVED it! It's definitely a tourist trap and you can find anything and everything you'd want. I was still on a mission to buy some soccer jerseys for my brothers and Taormina would be the place to do it.
I ended up in a van with Matt and his family and one or two other team members. We had almost reached our destination when Matt's mom told him he should walk around with me and Rachel while we looked for our final souveniers. It was good news for me! I'd get to hang out with him some more!
I still didn't have his email address, a phone number or anything. He hadn't asked me for mine and I so wanted him to be the one to take that step.
We walked through the streets of Taormina. It was a rainy day, but still beautiful! Finally I found all my souveniers. So Matt and I continued to walk around with Rachel. At one point, she went into a store and it was just me and Matt standing outside under an umbrella. Then he asked me: "So. Do you have a boyfriend at home?" I was getting excited. Maybe this was it! "No. I was interested in someone but then I decided he wasn't it." Then it happened! He asked me: "Would you mind if I write you when we get home?" YES! He'd FINALLY asked! All I could say was: "huh uh". I wanted to slap myself for not saying: "I would like that alot." or "that would be great!" He didn't seem to notice anything odd and went on to tell me "I've really enjoyed getting to know you over the past couple weeks." Oh I had enjoyed getting to know him too! Everyday he'd made me laugh, he'd made sure I was taken care of and he'd been a friend. I couldn't wait to tell Natalie about it!
That night I told her he'd asked for my email. She was excited to. She even told me "I'd love to have you as a sister in law." I kind of thought "whoa, hold on now." But at the same time I though "maybe I will be." It was easy for me to picture us ending up boyfriend and girlfriend. It was easy for me to see us having a relationship that would last awhile. I'd never experienced that before!
We were going home the next day. But it had happened. He'd asked for my email and my phone number and I would get to talk to him again, even when the trip was over.

No comments: