Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Long Road (Pt. 6) Friendship Becomes Love, Love Becomes Waiting

I remember the first moment that I knew I was in love with Matt. From the beginning of our talking, as I've already established, I had a feeling that we would become something. So I had felt all along, that there would come some moment in time that I would just no beyond a shadow of a doubt I was in love. It was Christmas Eve, 2005. We were texting each other that evening and I remember him saying to me: 'I think about you every minute of every day.' Something happened when he said that. It was like my heart said "I just fell in love." No one had ever said that before! From that moment on, I knew I was in love. Now I just wanted him to say he loved me first!:)
By my birthday in January 06, Matt and I had been talking regularly for 3 months and had been an offical couple for...a few weeks:) He had visited a second time for New Years Eve and I received my first new year's kiss on the cheek! After he got home from that visit, he told me that he'd wondered the whole day if he was "allowed" to kiss me. He'd been to nervous. (How cute!) I told him that next time I saw him, if he wanted to kiss me, he had my permission:) I saw him about 3 weeks later, a couple days after my 17th birthday. I went to my grandparents for a week and he came to pick me up one night to have supper with him, his brother and some family friends. All day leading up to his coming, I knew he was wanting to kiss me. He'd told me. It wasn't a secret. And I was FREAKING OUT! I called my dad at one point and as we talked I recall asking him "what if we bump noses?" Of course, that kind of made my dad laugh and he assured me that it would be fine. (I felt a little bit like "how do you know?!")When Matt got there, I was ALL smiles. I opened the door and he said something like "I've been wanting to do this for awhile" and just gave me a little kiss! I could feel my face light up and then...something happened that we joke about to this day! My grandma walked through the room behind us and said "hey, none of that now" and laughed. Even though she laughed, I had to assure Matt later that he wasn't in trouble:)While we were at his friends, another great thing happened! Patty, our hostess for the night, wanted to get a pic of us together. Someone made us laugh so getting the pic was difficult and all the sudden Matt says "here, give me your hand" and he grabbed my hand and held it. He held it the rest of the night! I was so happy! I had thought of him holding my hand before I ever thought of him kissing me. There was something about holding his hand (and there still is to this day) that was wonderful. I loved they way my hand felt in his. I loved how it fit. My small hand fit right in the palm of his larger one. His hand was warm and strong. It felt safe. I love that all of those feelings remain today!He brought me home later that night and we were set to see each other again in a couple days for supper with my grandparents. He came again and the 4 of us went out for pizza. When we got back to their we sat on the couch and talked for around 3 hours I think. And it was a wonderful time!
The end of January came and I had known for a month that I was in love with Matt. He still hadn't said anything though. But then, on January 30th...or 31st (so there's one date that's hazy:) we were texting yet again. I forget what the context of our conversation was leading up to this, but it turned out to be the night that he told me he loved me. I had wanted it to be in person, but the moment he said it, I didn't care how I found out, I was just so glad he felt the same way I did! In fact, I cried I was so happy! (yeah, little emotional lol)It was like neither of us could stop saying it after that. We still can't. I just look at him and want to say I love you! I see his name across my phone and want to say it. I talk about him to people and want to say "I just love him!"
I can honestly say, that by the time he said those 3 little words that we all long to hear, I was very sure, that this would be the man I would marry.

No comments: